A poll allows you to ask one multiple choice question to which participants choose from among the answers that you define. Check out the difference between a poll and a survey.
You have the option to create Public and Private polls. All polls created in free accounts are public by default. Public polls are published on the Polldaddy Community site and anyone on the Internet can see and participate in them. Private polls are available for paid accounts only. Private polls do not appear on the Community Site.
Create a poll
- Click the big blue Create a new… drop-down list and select Poll.
- To make a poll public, check Make poll public.
- By default, there are five answer options. You can click Add New Answer to add additional options.
- Possible answers appear in the order in which you entered them by default. If you’d like to serve the answer options in a random order for each visitor, click Randomize answer order.
- If you would like to include the option for participants to submit their own answer, click Allow users to enter their own answer. This will add an “Other” option with a textbox to the end of the answer list that participants can use to type in their own answer.
There are several final options you can select before you create your poll:
- Closing polls automatically
- Showing or hiding results
- Blocking repeat voters
- Allowing comments
- Allowing sharing
Once you’ve selected the final options, click Create Poll.
On the next screen, choose a style for the poll. There are several styles from which you can choose. Here are a few:
Next, choose a width for your poll widget:
Click Save Style Settings.
After you save the poll style you will be redirected to the Collect Votes page, but if you go back to Design Poll and then to Edit Language, you can change the language used by buttons and messages in the poll. You can choose from any already defined custom language packs or use any of the default language packs to make it easier to translate your poll.
Publishing Your Poll
We offer several different ways for you to publish your poll on the Collect Votes page. You can:
- Embed your poll on your website
- Embed your poll on your WordPress.com site
- Embed your poll on your WordPress.org site
- Post a link to your poll on Twitter
- Post a link to your poll on Facebook
- Copy a direct link to the poll’s community site page to share with others
- Send out your poll via email
That was easy. Got time for a quick poll?