A survey allows you to ask multiple questions and offers many different question types, including name, email, multiple choice, and matrix/Likert, just to name a few.
To get started, log in to your Polldaddy dashboard.
- Click on the big blue Create a new… dropdown and select Survey.
- Give your survey a name. Note that when your survey’s URL is created, it will include the title you choose.
- If you like, you can create custom start message that your survey participants will see before they start the survey.
- You can create a custom finish message that participants will see after they complete the survey. Be creative with your custom messages—show a little personality! It’s always nice to know that you’re completing a survey created by a human for humans. Note: Custom finish messages are only available to Professional and Corporate customers.
- Pro and corporate account holders can change the page timeout of a survey. This is how long a user has to finish a page in a survey. The default is 24 hours but it can be changed to 1 hour if circumstances require it.
Close survey automatically based on a preset date or quota
As the last step before creating the survey questions, you can select some basic options. First, you’ll need to decide if you’d like to close the survey automatically.
You can choose to close the survey on a date you define or after you’ve met your quota for the number of survey responses you wish to collect. The quota default is set to 1000. You can type in any number that you like.
Toggle question numbers on or off
You may prefer not to have question numbers in your survey. Question numbers are enabled by default, and you can uncheck the box next to Show question numbers to disable them.
Next, you can select whether or not to allow participants to complete the survey more than once.
Password protect and / or restrict to participants from a certain IP address
You can choose to set a password that participants must enter to be allowed to complete the survey. Additionally, if you wish to restrict your participants to a pre-defined set of IP addresses, you can enter them here.
You can enable Captcha protection to force the survey participant to fill in a CAPTCHA form before accessing the survey. This is a good way to prevent automated responses by scripts or bots.
This is similar to what the survey participants will see before they can begin the survey.
Email address whitelisting
You can enable Email Restriction to restrict survey completions to only those on the email group you choose. Before moving further, you’ll want to create an email group. You will then see the Select Users button appear as an option.
Click Select Users to open the Email Whitelist dialog box.
If you allow any email address, a participant must enter any valid email address to get access to the survey or quiz. The response is registered when the participant clicks the confirmation link.
If you choose an email group, only email addresses from this group will be permitted access to your survey or quiz. Also, responses from the email addresses in an email group will only be registered when the participant clicks on the confirmation link.
If you choose to enter individual email addresses, you can use wildcards to allow a set of email addresses. For example, if you were to enter
*@polldaddy.com, all valid email addresses ending with @polldaddy.com will be permitted access to the survey.
Once you choose the email addresses you would like to be whitelisted, click Save Selections.
Now when a participant opens this survey they will be asked to enter an email address. When the participant completes the survey they will receive an email with a confirmation link.
The participant will have to click on that link to confirm ownership of the email address, which will then register their survey response.
When you’re done selecting your survey’s options, click Save Settings.
On the Question Editor page, you can click and drag survey elements from the column on the left to the survey window.
You can drag and drop questions into any position on the page.
Once you have added your questions, you can click the question number and drag to reorder them.
These will be visible to you whether you’ve chosen to show questions numbers to your survey participants or not.
Polldaddy offers the following question types for surveys. Each type allows you to capture different data from your respondents:
- Free Text
- Multiple Choice
- Matrix / Likert
- Email Address
- File Upload
- Telephone Number
The following are shown in the question type toolbar, but do not capture any data:
- Page Header: Displays a heading to separate sections of a page. You can also use this element as a footer.
- HTML Snippet: Displays any HTML
When you’ve finished adding questions click Save Questions.
To choose a style for your survey, first select a color from the list of color choices.
Select a font from the Choose a font: list and a text direction from the Text direction: list.
The Preview box will display your survey according to the selected options.
Click Save Style Settings.
Next, you should choose whether or not to assign a language pack to the survey. Language packs allow you to change the default English text to a different variety of English text you choose or to the language of your choice. If you’ve already created a language pack for your survey, you can select it from the drop-down list.
You can create a new language pack for your survey on the same page. Just enter your translation of each phrase, and at the bottom of the page save your language pack with a new name.
Sharing your survey
Polldaddy offers many ways to share your survey on the Collect Responses page:
- Copy a direct link to share with others.
- Post a link to it on Twitter.
- Post a link to it on Facebook.
- Embed it into a QR code and get a .png of the image to place in printed material.
- Use a pop-up to encourage participants to complete the survey.
- Embed the survey into in your website.
- Download our free iOS app and sync it to gather data in the field with an iPad.
- Embed it into an email message.
To go back to edit the poll again, click Edit Survey in the top right corner of the page.
You can use these buttons to navigate between the editing, collection and results areas of your survey.
Still have questions? Contact us.